Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Grandpa Rees


Mr. "92"



My Dad had another hospital stay. The news that we have been dreading to hear for the past year was now here. The cancer has spread to the brain and everywhere else. The doctors told us he had 1 maybe 2 weeks to live...with the said, We got in the car and Alana and I made the drive to Idaho.
What do you say to the the man who has been one of your heroes since you were a little girl? How do you say good bye to someone that you love so much and because of that person you are here on Earth. I never thought a moment like this would ever come. When I was little, growing up, I thought those around me that I loved were invincible.That everything would always be okay.
I look at him and marvel. I love that he taught me to dream, to work hard, that education is important, that family memories and family vacations are essential and most importantly that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true. I am thankful that he was always kind and loving to me and my sisters. I am so greatful that he always loved my Mom and after she was diagnosed with MS he taught us all about unconditional, true love. He is an amazing man. The past year has been one of the most challenging for him as well as for my Mom, sisters and myself. But I have seen and recognized more tender mercies from the Lord this year than ever before. My testimony has been tested and strengthened in more ways that I ever thought possible. I have learned that life is fragile, my family is what matters the most and my relationship with my sisters and mom have strengthened beyond words. I have been held tenderly in the arms of my loving husband, have wiped the tears from my kids faces and have realized there really is a much bigger picture.
We will make it through this. We will survive. And I have such fun and wonderful memories that will carry me through this time.
Alana and I stayed just 24 hours. She was an absolute angel. And my Dad LOVED her. From the minute I walked in the door with her he wanted to hold her. When this whole thing started last April I was pregnant with her. I remember crying for hours one night because I just wanted my Dad to be able to meet her. I wanted a picture of the two of them. Not only did he get to meet her, he got to come and help bless her when she was born! And in this trip there were some of the most tender moments that I will remember for the rest of my life. One of those moments was-- He was holding onto her as she was sitting on the computer desk and he was sitting in the computer chair. They put their foreheads together and sat that way for minutes. It was so TENDER. It was as if they were communicating. It was pure and sweet. She brought him so much happiness and love in those 24 hours!
And then it was time to go home...I gave him a big long hug and walked out without looking back. I didn't want him to see the tears streaming down my face because I don't want him to worry about me. I will be okay and I have a loving husband to comfort me when I get home!
I love you Dad!

My Dad's hand and my hand


Alana's blessing Day

2 comments:

  1. Oh Shari, I am so sorry.

    That photo of you two together on your porch is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep you all in my prayers :) Let Alexis know I'm thinking of her.

    ReplyDelete